This notice will address several important topics:
-early morning access
-possible exposure threat
-update on classes
-holiday weekend hours
Effective immediately, we will be enforcing Comal County’s new mask requirement: ALL members and guests must have a face covering in order to enter the premises. All persons over the age of 10 who enter the facility must wear a face covering over their nose and mouth, such as a homemade mask, scarf, bandana, or handkerchief.
Even with the use of appropriate face coverings, individuals should maintain six feet of social distancing whenever possible. Patrons who do not cooperate may be asked to leave the premises and may not be provided goods or services until the face covering requirements are followed.
Once you’ve entered, checked in and are in place to exercise (classroom or CW), face coverings may be removed AS LONG AS SIX FEET OF DISTANCE CAN BE MAINTAINED. If six feet of distance cannot be maintained, FACE COVERINGS MUST BE WORN.
To further protect our members coming in, we will now be requiring either (1) verbal confirmation that you took your temperature before you came to the gym, and it is at or around 98.6 degrees and considered normal or (2) your temperature read by our touchless thermometer at the front desk before granting access to the facility. The CDC considers a person to have a fever when he or she has a measured temperature of at least 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit. If your temperature exceeds 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit, you will not be permitted to enter the facility.
EARLY MORNING ACCESS
With these new considerations to enforce, we have opted to delay the reopening of early morning access. We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause your routine. We are working on how we can implement an honor system that would prioritize the health and safety of our members. For now, our hours will remain Monday thru Friday 8 am to 6pm, Saturdays 8am to 4pm* (*reservations MUST be made for Saturday afternoon, as we’ve been closing early due to inactivity).
POSSIBLE EXPOSURE THREAT & UPDATE ON CLASSES
We have received two threats to possible exposure. One has come back as a negative, which is wonderful. The second is still pending confirmation. In light of recent area increases, we are going to be overly cautious and postpone starting group fitness classes for one more week. We will keep you posted as plans to open the classroom develop.
HOLIDAY WEEKEND HOURS
We will be closing early on Friday, July 3rd at 4pm and we will be closed all day on Saturday, July 4th. We hope you have a safe holiday weekend.
Thank you for your flexibility and understanding during this time. We are doing our best to stay safe, mindful and optimistic. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.
*this post was edited on 7/2 to reflect government updates
We have been working diligently to prepare the facility for our Grand Reopening. While we are so excited to welcome everyone back, please know that it will be different in many ways. We have reengineered, remodeled, and restructured our business after 24 years. My parents opened our doors back in 1996, signing on members for karate lessons taught by my Dad and kickboxing classes taught by my Mom. They had some weight equipment so went ahead and included that in the membership. We offered high quality classes with a gym on the side.
It took an unprecedented time like this to remember what we have
to offer this community. Our specialty classes can’t be found just anywhere.
Our instructors aren’t from a cookie cutter. Our facility is built like no
other. And now, our mission is going back to the basics: to educate our
community how to live well by integrating body, mind, and spirit. We are coming
back around full circle…a father opens a space to teach martial arts and 20 years
later a daughter reinvents that space to teach the art of yoga. To think, this
is only the beginning.
At this point I think it goes without saying that we won’t be
going back to the way things were before we were forced to shut down. So, in
addition to our reemergence, we are also embracing new protocols in order to
maximize the safety of our community.
We are following the Texas governor’s mandates and are reopening
using the guidelines from the CDC. Due to the nature of COVID-19, there
is no way we can guarantee anyone’s safety, or the possibility of contracting
COVID-19 while participating in activities at Family Fitness.
With that being said, there will be a higher standard expected
from our members, employees and instructors to ALL do what we can to minimize
those risks. A few of the many updated protocols include:
- Each member must sign an updated waiver in our system
- Limited to 20 people in Cardio/Weight room (pre-registration recommended)
- Limited to 15 students per class (pre-registration required)
- Members and Guests MUST pre-register to sign up for classes either online via Wellness Living, Achieve app, OR by calling the gym
- At this time, there will be no class props. Participants need to bring their own supplies (yoga props will be available for purchase)
Please note that based on local regulations as well as
international best practices and guidelines, certain features or areas of the
club will be temporarily unavailable:
- Basketball and Volleyball Courts (private rental only)
- Showers, lockers and sauna
- Towel Service
- Swimming pool
We hope for these measures to be as temporary as possible. Thank
you for your patience, and welcome to the new and improved Family Fitness!
Below we compiled a FAQ we hope you’ll find helpful as we move
forward into uncharted territories. PLEASE READ IN ITS ENTIRETY IF YOU ARE
CONSIDERING RETURNING WHEN WE REOPEN.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
When are you opening?
A: We will open our doors on Tuesday, June 16 at 8 am to current members who wish to make use of a reservation in our newly named “CW” (Cardio Weight room!). We will be open until 6 pm.
How do I make a reservation/check in?
A: In order to ensure safe distancing upon arrival, we will first
open on a reservation basis. This will allow us to stagger arrivals, limit waiting
time and ensure proper sanitation between guests.
- To make your reservation, email email@example.com with CW RESERVE
in subject line. You can then reserve a time block from 30 min to 2 hours. You
must receive a confirmation from Family Fitness of the reservation.
- If you haven’t checked your temperature yet, there will be a non
contact forehead thermometer at the front desk to take your touchless
temperature before using the facility
- Front desk staff will guide you through signing updated waiver and
confirm adjusted membership timeframe on your Wellness Living account profile
- Once your check in is complete we request you sanitize your
hands before using the facility
- We are estimating around 5 minutes to complete this process, so
that is how we are staggering appointments. Thank you for your cooperation!!
What changes are being
made to keep members safe?
A: We are implementing the following guidelines on our fitness
- For proper distancing, we will be using every other piece of
- In the Cardio Weight area, we ask you refrain from using a piece
of equipment right next to someone else. Be mindful of personal space.
- In the Class Room, we will use the floor to guide our distance.
Please observe tape and signage for guidance.
- For your safety, hard to clean apparatus (bands, porous weights
and mats, foam blocks, foam rollers, etc.) will not be available during this
- Disinfectant cleaners will be available for all members to clean
equipment during weight workouts
- Club staff will be monitoring social distancing guidelines and
assisting with equipment sanitation
- Family Fitness requests members do their part to monitor their
own wellness for the sake of others. Please:
- If you feel sick, have a fever, cough, difficulty breathing or
have been around anyone who has a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19,
please stay home.
- All immune compromised students are asked to stay home and
utilize online classes
- If you travel internationally we ask that you refrain from
attending in-person classes for two weeks.
- If you work in the health care industry, but not necessarily in
the hospital and have not been exposed, have not had a fever or have been short
of breath in the previous two weeks, we ask that you please wear a mask during
Are facemasks and/or gloves required?
- ALL members and guests must have a face covering in order to enter the premises. All persons over the age of 10 who enter the facility must wear a face covering over their nose and mouth, such as a homemade mask, scarf, bandana, or handkerchief.
- All staff will be required to wear protective face coverings when checking members in. Staff will wear masks and gloves when cleaning equipment.
- Gloves are highly recommended during check in process. We will have disposable gloves available for member use.
- Once you’ve entered, checked in and are in place to exercise (classroom or CW), face coverings may be removed AS LONG AS SIX FEET OF DISTANCE CAN BE MAINTAINED. If six feet of distance cannot be maintained, FACE COVERINGS MUST BE WORN.
How can we help?
- All members are required to disinfect their equipment before and
after use. Sanitizing equipment will be provided throughout the facility.
- We ask that you wash your hands for at least 20 seconds
frequently and use provided hand sanitizer often.
- Staff will be dedicated to continuously sanitizing high touch
points throughout the club.
- Floors will be sanitized after each class.
What changes will be made with Group Exercise?
- Pre registration is REQUIRED
- Registration online is
highly encouraged to reserve your place in the class, but a phone call to the
gym works too
- All classes will be held in our freshly merged space now known
as The Classroom.
- The class schedule has been adjusted to allow for proper
sanitizing after classes
- Class sizes will be limited to ensure social distancing
- Members will need to bring their own mats/gear (yoga props will
be available for purchase) until further notice
- If you have hand weights
on site, let us know so we can get them for you during your check in process
- At this time, no late arrivals will be let in to classes
- Instructors will not offer hands on assists, face towels or eye
pillows at this time
Will classes stay online?
A: Yes! Our facebook group will remain active for those who aren’t
ready to return or can’t grab a spot in time.
What about my membership?
A: All membership expirations will be adjusted to reflect the
time that Family Fitness was closed. You will not lose any time that you’ve
We are initiating new membership options as we reopen. These will come into
effect whenever your renewal date rolls around.
Can we hug?
A: We miss our community dearly and know that it will be
wonderful to see you! For many reasons, it will feel different and that’s to be
expected. However, know that our love and appreciation for you is still the
same! Instead of hugs, please greet each other with big smiles. Please share
stories with us and each other. This will be a great way to reintegrate from
this time, share and be with your community in a mindful way.
Additional things to consider:
- There will be no lockers or cubby spaces for belongings, so please limit what you bring to things that you can carry with you
- Please make sure you are subscribed to receive updates via email! We can easily update those preferences during your check in. Let’s keep you up to date!
Back in our March Newsletter, I mentioned that we were “in the early stages of creating a more sustainable infrastructure that will help our family business stay strong for years to come.” About a week later, we were forced to close our doors for the safety of our communities.
During this time we have had away from the day to day business, we have been able to really reflect on that initial intention back in March. How, in these changing times, do we help our family business stay strong for years to come?
Time + Uncertainty = Creativity
Needless to say, we had a few ideas. That led to a few more. And now, we’ve got ourselves in the midst of a construction project that will take a little more time than originally predicted. We are anticipating our Grand Reopening to be in the second week of June, and fully worth the wait!
We are excited to reveal more in due time. We are grateful for your loyal support, as well as your patience!
Family Fitness will remain closed under the orders of the Texas governor until further notice. We hope to know more about our timeline to reopen after the update scheduled for May 18.
In the meantime, we will be offering some of our group fitness classes online thru a private group on Facebook! To join the group and work out from home, click here. If you have any questions, please contact us through email or social media.
It is the loyalty of our community that has kept our family owned business afloat for the past 22 years. These trying times are no exception.
To help offset the cost of staying in business without being able to actually be open, we have kept auto payments and renewals on schedule. Not to worry, everyone’s membership will receive added time equal to the amount we have to stay closed, when things get back to normal.
We are doing our best to stay healthy in mind and heart, despite the uncertainty ahead. We hope you’re doing the same. Take care!